High Performer: Pernod Ricard Winemakers
“We are especially proud of our industrial recycling initiatives which resulted in a 70% reduction of land fill volume between 2012-2014.”
Pernod Ricard Winemakers Australia (the brand company for global wines including Jacob’s Creek) received their Australian Packaging Covenant award as equal highest performer in the Large Beverage Company category. Pernod Ricard Winemakers Australia represent an excellent example of a business focussing on team engagement and understanding in sustainability, to ‘make recycling at work, work’. The award recognised the training and communications program established to facilitate sustainability communications, and how this supported the organisation exceeding their waste reduction targets.
96% of onsite waste is sorted and recycled.
- Only 32.41 tonnes of waste was sent to landfill in 2014, a reduction of over 70% from 2012 and exceeding waste reduction targets.
- All packaging material is 100% recycled content and 100% recyclable.
- 96% of onsite waste is sorted and recycled.
- Reduced A4 paper usage by 72,000 pages per annum.
- Incorporated the Sustainability Packaging Toolkit into the induction and training of all new operational staff.
- Ongoing training focusing on driving team engagement to achieve sustainability goals.
- Release a monthly ‘Best Practice Bulletin’ to remind teams to incorporate sustainable considerations into their daily processes, which is uploaded onto internal social media to make it available to all teams globally.
- Conduct review meetings with major suppliers to discuss environmental projects and opportunities for improvement, such as making packaging lighter, increasing its recycled content and increasing its re-usability.
- Collaborated with a resource recovery company to introduce a BioBin and more active waste management program onsite.
- Stopped printing invoices, moved to a paperless system.
“Respect for the environment is very important to Pernod Ricard Winemakers, our industrial operations are targeted to achieve zero waste to landfill and use 100% recyclable packaging by 2020. We are especially proud of our industrial recycling initiatives which resulted in a 70% reduction of land fill volume between 2012-2014.”
Hiro Nagai, Operations Director - Australia, Pernod Ricard Winemakers.